Boy do I wish I could go back and have some talks with my 7 year old self. Back to a time when things were less complicated. Before the world became too tarnished. When Saturday mornings meant cereal, Flintstones and pajamas. When my biggest worry was eating all of my veggies. When riding around in my sister’s jeep listening to music was the highlight of my week.
I have learned that somewhere in life, at some point, I told the younger me some things that made her disbelieve how amazing she could become. I learned bad habits. Became insecure. Learned to deal with things I knew I shouldn’t deal with. At some point, my younger self lost her confidence. She lost her fire inside. So for months, I’ve been working on talking to her. “Un-telling” her all of those things that made her feel undeserving, insecure, tarnished, weak, vulnerable and sad.
If I could go back and sit down with her, I’d tell her this?
- Pray! A lot.
- Be you, don’t ever let anyone tell you you’re not good enough.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Follow your dreams before you commit to anyone else’s.
- Always trust your gut; it won’t let you down. If something feels off, it probably is.
- Eat the cake, life is short.
- If something is bringing you more pain than joy, let it go.
- Don’t be afraid to choose YOU. It’s not selfish, it’s self care.
- Always save for a rainy day.
- It’s okay to feel down, just don’t unpack and live there.
- If you have 2-3 really good friends, you’re blessed! Quality, not quantity.
- Exercise for your health, not for anything or anyone else.
- Social media is a feedback loop from hell, don’t get sucked in.
- Go away to college, you deserve that experience.
- Take the piano lessons!
- Eat for your blood type, trust me you’ll thank me in 30 years!
- Don’t ever stop dancing, your heart, mind and body love it too much.
- Don’t get the tattoo, you’ll end up covering it up.
- Don’t get the tattoo, you’ll end up covering it up. (yes, I meant to type it twice)
- Travel the world, there’s so much beauty to see out there.
- Learn two more languages and use them!
- Go to law school, don’t let anything get in your way.
- Learn from what you’ve seen and from what you haven’t seen.
- Don’t make excuses, make solutions.
- Dance in the rain.
- Be the person YOU need, not the person anyone else needs.
- Crying doesn’t make you weak, let it out.
- Don’t relax your hair 🙂 Your natural curls are amazing!
- Laugh until your face hurts.
- Love is really amazing, don’t give up hope.
There’s so much more I could tell this little girl but I’ll stop here. What advice would you give your younger self?